Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Not a Care in the World


The other day was a hot 92 degrees, mostly muggy beyond belief, until later in the day we were blessed with a gentle breeze promising evening thunderstorms. Earlier in the week I found myself being irritated with my home and all the junk being kept in it, which just kept finding itself more and more on the floor or ledges rather than in its own place. This had me thinking that if more and more "things" kept most conveniently finding themselves in less than desirable locations that: A. We have accumulated far to many "things" for our very modest 1300 sq ft, 3 bedroom home, or B. Joel and I have become exceedingly too lazy in completing our hourly, daily, weekly chores. I decided it was more of A than B which transpired in to a much needed purge/evaluation. I finally got down to business (thank you, Sarah from Clover Lane, to help jump start my 40 bags in 40 days)! First up was the bathroom pantry, then the hall closet, on to the living room, the laundry room, the collect all crap unfinished mud room.... and so it was, three days later, I collected five tubs and two garbage bags of stuff.  Perfect timing for the garage sale that was happening over at Joel's folks and two days later we were $400 richer!

Release, exhaustion, complete satisfaction! All of my decorative items now have a place, the laundry is washed, fluffed, folded, and put away into drawers and closets. All surfaces high and low have been dusted, floors vacuumed and steamed, candles burning, and thus my mind, heart, and soul are content and at peace! I'm soaking up my slice of heaven here on my front porch sitting my bum in my bouncy iron outdoor chair, drinking one of my favorite beers (Fat Tire),

and looking at magazines. Isn't it amazing how those heavenly sunbeams that hit your skin can make you feel or the soft gentle breeze blowing through your hair?

Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying "just being". Being still, being thankful, keeping it simple, and so proud of where I am now and where the future might have me go. My starter house isn't perfect. My house came with plenty bumps and bruises that have yet to be addressed but it's the journey of making your house a home that should be enjoyed right? I'd like it to all happen overnight but reality is quite opposite. There are still projects that need to be painted, the laundry room still has work to be done, the second bathroom still needs to have the shower doors put up, but who cares? It can wait. Right now it is all about enjoying the simpler things. Simple as in the beautiful clear sky, the bright sun, the soft breeze, the sweet delicate blooms of my bleeding heart........ 


the steady bounce of my porch chair..........

 and the taste of my bubbly ice cold beer....

At this moment all is right in the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber, sounds like you have been busy. Beer sounds good too.
My bleeding hearts are just starting to pop their little heads out. Sure could use a nice weekend, but it's suppose to be cold and rainy this coming weekend.

- Corrine

Anonymous said...

There's nothing quite like a good purging of stuff to make you feel like you've really accomplished so much. AND You HAVE. That's alot of work to clear out all the closets and gathering spots. You won't miss any of it. Way to spring clean! :-) Love ya, Auntie Kathy

LL from KS said...

I'm so glad you have grown into a woman that can enjoy the simple things in life. You will find much contentment in life by doing so. Can't wait to see all of your accomplishes! It's amazing how good an organized house can make you feel!