Monday, January 22, 2007

Good but not Great

It took Sam about one week to recoup from Croup, at least to the point where he would not be wheezing, and then it was back to day care for him since mommy and daddy could not keep taking off work if he wasn't really struggling. Unfortunately part of day care is getting sick and my child still is not well. See how disgusted he is! Sam had a fever 95% of the days that he was home sick and when he was a day care. When I noticed that his fever would spike, unless we gave him Tylenol or Motrin around the clock, I knew it was time to take the kid back into the doctor's office again. Sam and I spent 4 and a half hours at the hospital last Friday while I had to watch my son in misery through his chest x-rays, blood draw, and examination. He did not feel good and it was easy to tell. His eyes weren't filled with happiness, but a look of grogginess and sheer sickness. His eyes are red and watery, his nose a leaky faucet or stopped up to the point where he would be forced to breath out of his mouth, and a cough so bad it gags him from time to time. Being that Sam is my first child I am dealing quite well, but have times of feeling helpless to my son and having minor breakdowns because I would gladly go through the sickness for him if I could. Day care is not a place for the weak, and after this roller coaster of sickness Samuel will be strong. Building up immunities is something we all must go through, but it is much easier when your child can speak to you telling you what ales them. Sam is getting better but far from great.



On a much lighter note Samuel crawled his first two steps a couple of days ago, but has concluded for the time being that "army crawling" gets him around just fine. He is also pulling himself up to his knees from the ground, and will soon be trying to escape the confines of his crib when he isn't sleepy. Needless to say, tonight a disassembling of his crib will be taking place to lower his mattress so we don't find our son on the floor in the morning. As suggested by Baby Center (wonderful web site) once a baby starts to pull himself up bumpers must be removed to not aide in a boost over the crib side. With each passing day I can tell that he really knows who is mama and daddy are. This is a feeling that brings me much happiness to know that when Sam wants me, he will army crawl over to me, or he wants Joel the same. He is so ecstatic when I pick him up from day care he immediately starts to fuss and reach for me, and when he is in the comfort of Mommy's arms, all is well in the world again. I'm not sure of a more greater feeling in the world. It almost seems impossible that my time in the Navy is coming to a quick end and I will be able to have our baby all to myself all day, to learn and grow together. I look forward to what the future might bring, and hopefully we will be blessed with happier moments then sad; but when the difficult times arrive, at least we will have the company of our newly beginning family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even when he isn't 100% well he is still the cutest baby in all the world. What a sweet face! Looks like he could use a kiss so granny is sending some his way!! XXXXXOOOOO to our beautiful blue-eyed grandson!!!
Don't worry Amber! You are doing a great job of being a new mommy. It's not easy seeing your sweet little man sick, but it's something that he'll live through. Just keep reminding yourself that he is building up important immunities!

aunt B said...

ah Amber, thanks for commenting on my blog. It was good to see you over Christmas. Your BABY is so cute! Hope all is well with you adn your family.
Betsy

Ms. Smoochy said...

Oh man Amber, I'm so sorry to hear about Sammy's case of croup. It sounds like a terrible ordeal! I am glad he's feeling a little better. Your little guy is absolutely precious! He i really filing out, huh? Hope he's 100% soon!

Anonymous said...

i'm in love with that cute little face!!!
~ Katie Ikenberry